Polyethylene glycol is a high molecular polymer with the chemical formula HO(CH2CH2O)nH. It is non-irritating, has a slightly bitter taste, has good water solubility, and has good compatibility with many organic components. It has excellent lubricity, moisturizing, dispersion and adhesion. It can be used as antistatic agent and softener in cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, chemical fibers, rubber, plastics, papermaking, paints, electroplating, pesticides, metal processing and food. It is widely used in processing and other industries
HO(CH2CH2O)nH is formed by the stepwise addition polymerization of ethylene oxide and water or ethylene glycol.
Polyethylene glycol is a non-ionic water-soluble polymer. It is compatible with many highly polar substances and has poor compatibility with low-polarity substances. Polyethylene glycol with a low relative molecular weight has better compatibility. Polyethylene glycol can be compatible or partially compatible with oxidized starch, nitrocellulose, polyvinyl acetate and corn gluten. Incompatible with beeswax, castor oil, gelatin, gum arabic, mineral oil, olive oil and paraffin.
Medical polyethylene glycol is also known as polyethylene oxide (PEO). Linear polyether obtained by ring-opening polymerization of ethylene oxide. The main uses in the biomedical field are as follows:
1. Contact lens solution. The viscosity of polyethylene glycol aqueous solution is sensitive to shear rate and bacteria are not easy to grow on polyethylene glycol.
2. Synthetic lubricants. Condensation polymer of ethylene oxide and water. It is used as an ointment base for preparing water-soluble drugs, and can also be used as a solvent for acetylsalicylic acid, caffeine, nimodipine and other poorly water-soluble drugs for the preparation of injections.
3. Carrier for sustained release of drugs and immobilized enzymes. Coating the polyethylene glycol aqueous solution on the outer layer of the pill can control the diffusion of the drug in the pill in the body to improve the efficacy.
4. Surface modification of medical polymer materials. The biocompatibility of medical polymer materials in contact with blood can be improved by adsorbing, entrapping and grafting amphiphilic copolymers containing polyethylene glycol on the surface of medical polymer materials.
5. Make alkanol contraceptive membranes.
6. Make hydrophilic anticoagulant polyurethane.
7. Polyethylene glycol 4000 is an osmotic laxative, which can increase the osmotic pressure in the intestinal cavity, absorb water, soften the feces, increase the volume, and promote intestinal peristalsis and defecation.
8. Denture fixative. Polyethylene glycol is used as a component of denture fixatives due to its non-toxic and gel-forming properties.
9. PEG 4000 and PEG 6000 are often used to promote cell fusion or protoplast fusion and help organisms (such as yeast) take up DNA during transformation. PEG can absorb water in solutions, so it is also used to concentrate solutions.
10. In experiments to study protein molecules, the crowded environment in the body can be simulated to verify the impact of the crowded environment on the protein structure.
It can be used as a medium for organic synthesis and a heat carrier with higher requirements. It can be used as a moisturizer, inorganic salt solubilizer and viscosity regulator in the daily chemical industry. It can be used as a softener and antistatic agent in the textile industry. It can also be used as a softener and antistatic agent in papermaking. Used as wetting agent in pesticide industry.
PEG-400 is most suitable for making soft capsules. Since PEG400 is liquid, it has broad compatibility with various solvents and is a good solvent and solubilizer. It is widely used in liquid preparations, such as oral liquids, eye drops, etc. When vegetable oil is not suitable as a carrier for active ingredients, PEG is the material of choice. This is mainly because PEG is stable and does not deteriorate easily. Injections containing PEG are very safe and stable when heated to 150 degrees Celsius. In addition, it can be mixed with high molecular weight (PEG) and the mixture has good solubility and good compatibility with drugs.
Used as a base for medicines and cosmetics, as a lubricant and wetting agent in the rubber and textile industries. PEG-600 is added to the electrolyte in the metal industry to enhance the grinding effect and enhance the luster of the metal surface.
PEG-1450 and 3350 are most suitable for ointments, suppositories, and creams. Due to their high water solubility and wide melting point range, PEG1450 and 3350 can be used alone or mixed to produce a melting point range that has a long storage time and meets the requirements of drugs and physical effects. Suppositories using a PEG base are less irritating than those using traditional oil bases.
It is used as a matrix, lubricant, and softener in the pharmaceutical, textile, and cosmetic industries; it is used as a dispersant in the coating industry to improve the water dispersion and flexibility of the resin, with a dosage of 10-30%; it can improve the stability of dyes in inks. It has solubility and reduces its volatility. It is especially suitable for wax paper and ink pad ink. It can also be used to adjust the ink viscosity in ballpoint pen ink. It can be used as a dispersant in the rubber industry to promote vulcanization and is used as a carbon black filler. Dispersant.
Used as metal processing molding agent, lubricant and cutting fluid for metal drawing, stamping or forming, grinding, cooling, lubricating and polishing agent, welding agent, etc.; used as lubricant in the paper industry, and also used as hot melt adhesive to Increased rapid rewetting capability.
Send your inquiry / assessment to Us. Anything need us ,please don’t hesitate contact us here! we will keep it secret for you !